Gift of Helen Lewis, Red Deer, 2014
This frame was given to Ben Murray by a German prisoner of war who worked for him on his farm in Red Deer after World War II. No knowledge of who the people in the photos are. The Kananaskis Internment Camp #130 was established on a pre-existing National Forestry site in 1939. Initially, it was a prison camp for civilian internees and enemy merchant sailors before being enlarged and fortified for the purposes of detaining prisoners of war in 1941. The camp operated until 1946 and during their internment, POWs engaged in mostly manual labour, including clearing the valley that now forms the bed of Barrier Lake.